Septic tanks are a highly efficient way to dispose of sewage and waste water. However, to work properly, they must be looked after. Here are some dos and don’ts to help you keep your sewage disposal system in tip-top shape:
- Get a licensed septic services company to regularly inspect your system and arrange to have the septic tank pumped out when necessary.
- Familiarize yourself with the location of all of the components in the system and regularly inspect the areas to check for signs that it is not working properly.
- Make sure there is a good covering of soil over the system, but do not plant shrubs or bushes on top or nearby, as their roots can interfere with or cause damage to septic tanks and drain fields.
- Limit the amount of water flowing into the system to prevent overworking it.
- Park vehicles, place heavy objects, add paving or concrete, or build a patio or deck on top of a septic tank.
- Make or attempt repairs to the tank, unless you are properly trained, experienced and certified.
- Add “quick fix additives” to the tank. Many of these contain harmful chemicals and do little or nothing to solve the problem of sludge buildup. They are usually unnecessary, as human sewage contains enough of the micro-organisms necessary to keep properly managed septic tanks functional.
- Allow waste materials like diapers, cigarette butts, feminine hygiene products, plastic objects, or any other solid item that will not easily and quickly degrade to enter the system.
If you are looking for an expert on septic tanks in Lakeland FL, look no further Lee Kirk & Sons Septic. Operating since 1959, we have the experience and quality workmanship to serve your septic and waste disposal needs. Request a free estimate today!