As a general rule, septic tank cleaning out should be necessary every 3 to 5 years in a normal home. However, there are many factors that can influence how often pumping out and cleaning is necessary, including:
- The number of people in the household.
- Whether a garbage disposal unit is used in the house – the ground up food items from a garbage disposal are still solid enough to increase the rate of sludge buildup.
- How much water enters the system on a daily basis. This can be influenced by leaking faucets, how often the washing machine and dishwasher are used, and many other factors.
- Whether harsh chemicals are allowed to enter the septic system, as they can upset the natural balance of microorganisms that break down sewage in the tank.
Some indications that you may need to arrange a septic tank cleaning soon are:
- Sewer gasses, odor and even waste belching back into the house via toilets and drains.
- Toilets that don’t empty quickly when flushed.
- Excessively green grass above the tank or drain field or noticeably wet and spongy ground in this area. This could indicate an overflowing system.
The best way to conclusively determine if septic tank cleaning is required on your property is to get a licensed septic services professional to come out and perform an assessment. A good contractor will quickly measure the sludge and scum levels in the tank and give you a recommendation.
If you are in need of affordable septic tank cleaning in Lakeland FL, contact us at Lee Kirk & Sons Septic. Operating since 1959, we have the experience and quality workmanship to serve your septic and waste disposal needs. Request a free estimate today!