If you’ve recently become responsible for a property with a septic system, it’s important that you learn how to maintain the system. The best way to do this is to find a reliable septic company that can walk you through the essentials and answer your questions. At Lee Kirk & Sons Septic, we want to help you feel prepared and informed. We’re glad to provide you with any of the information or services you need to keep your system in shape.
One key aspect of your septic system is the septic drain field. There are certain things that should be done or avoided in order to keep your drain field from accruing extensive damage:
- Seek regular inspections: The best way to be certain that all is well with your septic drain field, as well as the rest of your septic system, is to have yearly inspections. Keeping a trained eye on your system will minimize the need for extensive repairs.
- Conserve water where possible: Conserving water usage will help you avoid drain field flooding.
- Avoid substantial weight on your drain field: Driving over your drain field, or parking trailers and other heavy machinery on top of the drain field can cause extensive damage.
- Never build on top of your drain field: Your septic drain field has piping that can be damaged when digging or working on the drain field. Building on your drain field will also create accessibility problems for regular maintenance and repairs.
- Consult your septic professional when landscaping near your drain field: Anything that requires digging, excessive watering, or has deep roots should not be planted near your drain field.
Call us today to let us know how we can help you with your septic system.